Tunisia is the smallest country in North Africa. In the first centuries after Christ, Christianity spread through Tunisia and a strong church was established. However, the church weakened in time as disunity occurred and no Bible was translated into local languages. When Arab invaders came the church was quickly dissolved and their Christian roots were forgotten.
Tunisia is largely a society of agriculture and mining. Most farms are still operated with primitive methods. Cell phones, internet, and Facebook are changing Tunisian interaction with the world.
The Arab Tunisian population is heavily made up of youth. Almost 70% of the population is under the age of 30. The youth in Tunisia are highly educated, but unemployment makes finding opportunities difficult. Frustration about this produced a revolution in 2011 that resulted in the country’s president fleeing the nation.
Islam is practised by almost 100% of the population. Witchcraft and worship at shrines are also practised, resulting in strong spiritual bondage and darkness.
HOW CAN WE REACH THEM?
Recently Christian media has created interest in Christianity. The young, well-educated majority is actively connected with media. From the comfort of your own home, you are able to reach out to Tunisian Muslims through media on the internet.
There are only a few hundred Christians spread across this country of 11 million people. They have no opportunity for fellowship and discipleship. They are persecuted by family and friends and risk losing their jobs because of their faith. You can also be an active part in helping disciple and encourage the believers in Tunisia!
WEBSITES TO EXPLORE
- Ask God to strengthen, encourage, and protect the small number of Tunisian Arab believers.
- Pray that Tunisian Christians would be impassioned to reach their own people, sharing a clear, succinct, and reproducible Gospel presentation.
- Pray for completion of Bible translation in this people group’s primary language.
- Pray that whole families would come to faith in Jesus together.
- Pray for the church to become known for strong discipleship and rapid incorporation of new believers.